Scammed? How to complain if you are a victim of fraud on the Internet.
Have you been scammed or do you know someone who has been scammed? Did you send $500 to someone by Western Union or Moneygram only to have him disappear? Did you try to help out a prince or widow who was thrown out in a coup and has a billion
Here is a list of resources you can use in order to bring the scammer to justice.
Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
Phone: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
Online complaint form: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en
Email them and send copies of your transactions (including emails with headers). Send a CC to firstname.lastname@example.org if it is a Nigerian scam email.
FBI/Internet Crime Complaint Center
Phone: (800) 221-4424
Online complaint form: http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
FTC - Identity theft
More information: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/consumers/defend.html
National Fraud Information Center/Internet Fraud Watch
Report form: https://secure.nclforms.org/nficweb/nfic.htm
Contact Local Police and let them know of the whole story, however embarrassing it may be.
Identity Theft or Phishing
If your information has been stolen, contact the three bureaus immediately.
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
- Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742); www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013
Complain to the FTC at their identity theft hotline at 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338) or TTY: 1-866-653-4261. You can also send a postal letter to
Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20580.
- National Check Fraud Service: 1-843-571-2143
- SCAN: 1-800-262-7771
- TeleCheck: 1-800-710-9898 or 927-0188
- CrossCheck: 1-707-586-0551 or (800) 552-1900
- Equifax Check Systems: 1-800-437-5120
- International Check Services: 1-800-526-5380
- CheckRite (800) 766-2748 *ChexSystems (800) 428-9623
Scammed by a Local Business?
Contact the Better Business Bureau
Unauthorized Banking If you know of any fake banks operating in an unauthorized manner, contact the OCC.
- Email: OCCAlertResponses@occ.treas.gov
- Postal: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Enforcement & Compliance Division, MS 8-10, 250 E Street, SW, Washington, DC 20219
- Fax: (202) 874-5214
Posted on 09 Dec 2010
If you liked this article, follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@aruljohn).