The latest version of Python as of September 8, 2022 is 3.10.7. If you have Debian 10 or 11 and would like to install it, here are steps.
Download Python 3.10.7 source
The latest Python source code is available here.
First, download and untar the latest Python source code.
cd /tmp/ wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.10.7/Python-3.10.7.tgz tar -xzvf Python-3.10.7.tgz cd Python-3.10.7/
Install the build tools
Now, install the build tools.
sudo apt install build-essential zlib1g-dev libncurses5-dev libgdbm-dev libnss3-dev
Configure, make and make install
make, find the number of processors your server has using
You will see something like this:
Now, run make with the number of processors. This may take a while.
make -j 2
We will install Python under
/usr/local/bin instead of overwriting the default Python installation under
sudo make altinstall
This will install Python at
/usr/local/bin/python3.10. To test the version, run this:
You will get this output:
Make Python 3.10.7 the default version
To make the default version of Python 3.10.7, run this:
sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/python sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/python3.10 /usr/local/bin/python
Test whether Python 3.10.7 is the default version:
$ ls -al /usr/local/bin/python lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Sep 6 00:09 /usr/local/bin/python -> /usr/local/bin/python3.10
The output will be:
If you liked this post, please feel free to share it. If you have any problems installing Python 3.10.7 in your Debian 10/11, you may contact me.
- Changing file system from Ext2 to Ext3 in Debian
- apt-get and dpkg commands in Debian
- Python script to submit URLs to Bing search engine
- Working with JSON in Python
- How to install Python 3.10.7 from source
- Upgrading the kernel in Debian
- How to install Debian GNU/Linux on your computer
- Parse HTML, populate DataFrame and export to CSV
- Installing Multimedia in Debian
- How to install Windows 7 on VirtualBox
- Controllable Christmas Lights using Raspberry Pi & RGB LED Strip
- ACSL Intermediate Division
- How to Install Python 3.10.7 on the Raspberry Pi
- Installing X Window on Debian
- Install Visual Studio Code for Python development
- American Computer Science League (ACSL)
- How to change boot sequence between Windows and Linux
- Nobel prize winner in Economics uses Python
- ACSL Junior Division
- Installing Applications and Servers in Debian GNU/Linux
- Install Ruby on Rails from source
- Installing the networking in Debian
- Patching glibc CVE-2015-7547 Vulnerability
- Installing a webcam in Linux
- Python script to show live video using RTSP
- Python script to tweet your Internet speed
If you have any questions, please contact me at arulbOsutkNiqlzziyties@gNqmaizl.bkcom. You can also post questions in our Facebook group. Thank you.