How to embed CGI scripts in HTML files
In order to embed CGI scripts, first find if your web hosting company supports Server Side Include (SSI). Call or email your tech support to find this. [If you're hosting on Bluehost, yes they support SSI]
- Create a new .htaccess file or open the existing .htaccess file in the same directory where you want your SSI includes to exist
- Add these two lines
AddType text/html .html AddHandler server-parsed .html
- You may want to add this line if you want to execute Perl scripts ending in .pl or .cgi
AddHandler cgi-script pl cgi
Testing the SSI include
Lets create a file called ssi.html that embeds a Perl script date.pl. This Perl script outputs the current date and time when executed.
- Create ssi.html with these contents:
<h1>SSI Test</h1> <!--#exec cmd="date.pl"-->
- Create date.pl in the same directory with these contents:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w print `date`;
- If your CGI script is in another directory, you can call it from the HTML page using the include virtual directive
<h1>SSI Test</h1> <!--#include virtual="/demo/date.pl"-->
- Make the script executable with by chmodding
date.plwith +x or FTP client or whatever CP you use to access your files
Check out the working demo here.
If you have any questions, please contact me at arulbOsutkNiqlzziyties@gNqmaizl.bkcom. You can also post questions in our Facebook group. Thank you.