- Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God2019s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;
- In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
- But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;
- To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.
- For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:
- If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
- For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
- But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
- Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
- For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:
- Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre2019s sake.
- One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.
- This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
- Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
- Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
- They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.