- Remember, O LORD, what is come upon us: consider, and behold our reproach.
- Our inheritance is turned to strangers, our houses to aliens.
- We are orphans and fatherless, our mothers are as widows.
- We have drunken our water for money; our wood is sold unto us.
- Our necks are under persecution: we labour, and have no rest.
- We have given the hand to the Egyptians, and to the Assyrians, to be satisfied with bread.
- Our fathers have sinned, and are not; and we have borne their iniquities.
- Servants have ruled over us: there is none that doth deliver us out of their hand.
- We gat our bread with the peril of our lives because of the sword of the wilderness.
- Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine.
- They ravished the women in Zion, and the maids in the cities of Judah.
- Princes are hanged up by their hand: the faces of elders were not honoured.
- They took the young men to grind, and the children fell under the wood.
- The elders have ceased from the gate, the young men from their musick.
- The joy of our heart is ceased; our dance is turned into mourning.
- The crown is fallen from our head: woe unto us, that we have sinned!
- For this our heart is faint; for these things our eyes are dim.
- Because of the mountain of Zion, which is desolate, the foxes walk upon it.
- Thou, O LORD, remainest for ever; thy throne from generation to generation.
- Wherefore dost thou forget us for ever, and forsake us so long time?
- Turn thou us unto thee, O LORD, and we shall be turned; renew our days as of old.
- But thou hast utterly rejected us; thou art very wroth against us.
Go to full book of Lamentations ⤴